2010년 3월 12일 금요일

plagiarism thoughts

While reading, I was more interested in paraphrase and inference than plagiarism. As a teacher of middle school students, I haven’t thought of how to teach using paraphrases and inference in writing, though writing is a process that requires skilled abilities. Actually my students have a difficulty in writing even in a sentence level. Nevertheless I think teaching how to use those skills can be one way to improve their writing ability. So I agree that teachers and textbooks need to provide easy and effective information on paraphrases. It’s appropriate and helpful for my students to provide ways how to change into a similar word or expressions. Teaching how to express writer’s ingenuity there needs to be taught to upper rank of class.
This view was also interesting students who are used to reading between the lines in their L1, they come to realize similarities between L1 reading practice and inferential processes in L2. So teachers offer motivation for these learners to adopt such processes in L2 processes. I agree in that a lot of input can lead to a lot of output. And I think plagiarism is a kind of problem of ethical things. So before dealing with preventing plagiarism, it should be taught how to borrow the source and how to use quotation marks should be taught.

댓글 2개:

  1. I appreciate you perspective as a teacher, can you tell me more about your perspective as a student. (just a little warning, if you do plagiarize, the chances are good that we will catch you at it . . . we take it seriously -- not in the punishment sense as much as in making our students understand the importance and the ways to avoid it). you might read Daniel's blog . . .

    -e

    답글삭제
  2. I agree that plagiarism is not pretty much relevant topic to discuss in the secondary classes in Korea. But someone has to start doing it and I wish that it were you. Bye

    답글삭제